On April, 4, on the website of Sergio Bonelli Editore, the new Zagor comic strips were announced: a miniseries of 6 comic strips books proposed after 57 years since the appearance of the first comic strips of the Spirit with the Hatchet, started in June 1961 and ended in November 1970.
I could not miss this series and the occasion to taste the comic strips of the past.
My first impression about the new Zagor comic strips
It seemed to me immediately a quality comic series: beautiful the first three covers, I found them dynamic, they invoke the spirit of adventure, especially for a “tarzanid” like Zagor.
The title of N.1, “The boat of mysteries”, really takes us back in time. I read Zagor for the first time when I was 15 or 16, in the summer, at my cousin’s house (he bought it regularly). I remember having felt the mixture of adventure and mystery from the first pages.
The price is accessible: 2.50 € are not so much. Although the monthly comic book costs only one euro more, we must consider all the other factors that come into play: limited series in time, comic strip format in XXI century, sold only in comic book shops.
The first two covers of Zagor comic strips and internal pages
The 5 series of Zagor comic strips
- Collection Lampo, 1° series: from 15 June 1961 (the famous title “La foresta degli agguati”) to 25 November 1962
- Collection Lampo, 2° series: from 9 December 1962 to 12 May 1964
- Collection Lampo, 3° series: from 26 May 1964 to 4 January 1967
- Collection Lampo, 4° series: from 18 January 1967 to 10 November 1970
- Collection Darkwood: from 10 May 2018 to 19 July 2018
The first comic strips book in ’61 compared to the No. 1 in 2018
As you can see, they preserved the characteristics of the first comic strips book of ’61, with a fresher sign but in perfect harmony with the style of the great Gallieno Ferri.